Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Team Foundation Server Installation Troubleshooting Guide

I hate re-blogging posts from another blogger, but Brian Harry's post about the new guide for Troubleshooting Installation for Team Foundation is worthy of breaking my rule. A few months ago I was at a client performing an upgrade of TFS 2005 to 2008 and we hit a snag in the middle of the installation where the setup could not configure the SQL Reporting Services web directories in IIS. We spent 4 days on the phone with Microsoft who finally advised us to slick the server and install TFS 2008 from scratch then restore the databases. I have already seen some of the symptoms we experienced in this guide.

It also has some post installation configuration issues I have seen many times. These also pop up after service pack installations or similar events that alter the configurations of any of the supporting services.

Definitely keep this guide handy!

No comments: